Saturday, September 15, 2012

Body before Baby

Recently I have set out to reshape my body. We all have that 'dream-body' we wish we had and I have decided I am going to go for it. I can talk about it, wish for it, and want it so bad that I just begin to be disappointed with the body I do have, which I don't think is all that bad to begin with, but unless I actually DO something to get it all my wishin' and hopin' is a waste of time and energy. Therefore I have titled this blog, Body before Baby, because in this new season of my life I realize that baby's, although a few years down the road, are in my future and when that day does come I know my body will no longer be just my own and will go through a stretching, changing, weight-gaining process. So, before my baby body, or my post wedding let-myself-go body, which I refuse to let happen, I am determined that I WILL work at and be committed to reshaping my body into that dream-body I have always wanted. Why not? This will probably be the easiest time in my life to get it. I know I can, just as you can if you want. As women we are always picking ourselves apart, criticizing our bodies, and focusing on those little imperfections that only we see. Anyone relate? We can complain as much as we want and it won't get us anywhere. If you want, join me. I will be talking about this body shaping journey I am on in blogs to follow.  I would love to share and swap healthy recipes, or awesome workout tips/regimens with anyone who is interested. It always helps to have people encouraging and sharing their little tid-bits of knowledge along the way.

To date, I have changed the way I eat to a more gluten free, limited dairy, low-fat, and fairly organic diet (This has been a several month, slow changing process. Changes are allowed to be gradual so don't get frustrated). I am finding it very exciting to try new recipes, and getting more creative in the kitchen. Also, I'm realizing that I can eat fantastic, eat sweets, and keep out all the refined sugars and fat. Who knew?! People always think you have to completely deprive yourself in order to be healthy, but I eat raw homemade chocolate probably every week. Super easy to make and it includes no refined sugars or bad fats, and now I can have a guilt-free chocolate fix. I no longer feel constrained to a few dinner recipes either, trying to cook healthy doesn't have to mean salad for dinner every night; I am learning that there are so many options. I have recently re-discovered the Central Market here in Adelaide, my new favorite place, where I can buy fresh produce and many gluten-free options are available for bread products. I can also check out an the awesome Asian market that is super cheap, and buy all my healthy cooking/baking needs at a whole-foods store called 'goodies and grains' that I am 100% in love with. The most fun part of this whole experience is discovering all sorts of foods I never even knew existed. I am also learning healthy tricks such as freezing bananas and then a couple days later blending for a healthy soft serve ice-cream. I am not defining my eating habits as vegan or vegetarian or raw, but if I needed to be classified it would be 'clean eating.' I feel great.

In addition to my new eating habits, which I know will become a new life change I will keep with me and one day pass on to my children, I have challenged myself to a 30-days of fitness. For the past 14 days I have worked out each and every day. (I feel like if I can make it through 30 days, I can do this) I have mixed in cardio, weights, bikram yoga, running, etc. I do many workouts at home, you don't need a gym. I recommend subscribing to various youtube fitness channels (some of my favorites are Amanda Russell, Livestrong Women, and Tara Styles Yoga). I have compiled my own variations of workouts ranging from 45 min- 1.5 hours or so. Each day is a little different and I never really know what to expect. There is also this awesome site called RandomAbs, check it out!!! Everyday they have a new ab routine to do. I will be starting my next 30-day challenge at the beginning of October, let me know if you want to join!!! This month I am just easing my way into things, trial and error testing, and will bump up the intensity next month and hopefully help you to gain from my experiences of this month. I can feel my body changing, and am proud of myself each and everyday when I check off another day of workouts on my black board as done. I know I am doing something good for my body, and each day I eat well and work out I am one day closer to my goal. That dream body! Setting a 30-day challenge is something reachable, achievable and encourages me to keep going. After 1 week you don't want to give up because you are already seeing changes and you have accomplished so much by working out for a solid week that its not worth giving up at that point. Everyday I remind myself why I'm doing this, who I am doing it for, and the life benefits I am making for myself. In the grand scheme of things how long is 30 days out of our life anyways. Right?

Let me know if you want to join me on this body transformation journey. Maybe for you it is post-baby, post-marriage, or just getting off the couch ;) Let's do this!

                                           
                     Today's Healthy Little Treat...made up in 2 minutes.

-me

No comments:

Post a Comment