Friday, March 4, 2011

REWIND...

I have now been in Australia for two months; how time flies. I have managed to visit Melbourne, Victoria, celebrate Australia Day, eat fish and chips on the beach, go on a few day excursions to the Gold Coast, secure housing for the year, find a job, set-up a bank account, receive two paychecks, apply for a Tax File Number (TFN), obtain two roommates - Liz and Nyjame, make a few new friends, find a church, and start and complete my first month of studies at RHEMA Bible Training Center. It has been a very full two months, and every moment has been better than 'good' -a word I so often used when I was much younger to describe my sentiments about the ongoings of my life whenever my parents would ask, so that was for you momma.

My life has been moving at a fairly swift pace since I stepped off the plane and into this place known as the great 'land down unda.' Last week I had to remind myself how long I had actually been here. I remember the day I set up my National Australia Bank (NAB) account; on that day I remember thinking to myself, "oh goodness, it's official. I am living in Australia." Only last week I received my first two paychecks and was able to start paying my rent from my Australian income. How exciting is that?! Let me answer, VERY! I am believing that by April I will be able to pay for both my rent, food, and at least part of my schooling off the income I will be making here.

My roommate(s), now recently pluralized, are wonderful. I am blessed. Liz is also attending RHEMA and she and I get along very well. She has a fun, outgoing, smart-alec personality. People tend to be surprised that we have only just met a few short weeks ago when they 'observe' us together. I say observe, because sometimes are behavior only really evokes an observation sort of response from others. I don't think they really know what to think of us sometimes. Needless to say, we have a good, fun time together. However, I can't say were always the best for each other. During church a few weeks back I suggested 'dessert sundays', sunday would be our treat day, weeeellll our dessert sunday tradition has become somewhat of a daily habit for us, AND, we are not at all good at keeping each other accountable to not eating dessert outside of our designated 'dessert sunday'. Oh well, I think we will get over it. The newest addition to our house, Nyjame, is 17. She is a youngin' and this is her first year at Uni. She is nice, but we are still getting to know her so I don't have much to share about her at this point, but I do think she will be a good fit to the vibe of this home.

School has been fabulous. The teaching is incredible. Every day sitting in class from 9am - 1pm I just know it is where I am supposed to be right now. The right place at the right time. So far the classes I have finished have been on Righteousness, Foundations of Faith, and Spiritual Formation. I will be posting 'nuggets' that I have received from these classes in future posts, so stay tuned.

Until Next Time...

Goodaye' Mate ;)


2 comments:

  1. hehe, your comment about "good" made me smile. I remember those times well. And, it is hard to believe you have been gone for 2 months already. Crazy! Miss you and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to eat fish & chips on the beach...waaaahhhhhhhhh!!!! I'd also like to partake in your dessert Sundays. Miss you friend, but I'm glad you're exactly where you're supposed to be right now!

    ReplyDelete