Sunday, March 6, 2011

MACCAS to the MAX

So I have decided that Mondays will be my blog day, considering if I attempt to blog everyday or most days I will most likely just give up on it. So this way I can still keep you updated without feeling to overwhelmed with 'blogging'. With all that being said, today I have decided I will share about my adventures in the Australian workplace.

For any of you reading who do not know, my job is working McCafe at the local McDonalds. I know, I know every mothers dream to have their daughter graduate with a degree from a University and get a job working at McDonalds, but I accept it as a blessing it being only walking distance from my apartment and a humbling experience. I mean, my new years resolution was to 'get over myself', I believe this job will easily assist in that endeavor. I find myself just thanking the Lord for an Australian income every time I find myself wiping down the tables or washing the windows that little children have put their greasy messy McDonalds hand prints all over that I had just cleaned 2 minutes ago.

In my first two weeks of work I have learned to clean the dining room area, take orders, and work the fries station. Despite popular belief, when taking a customers order you don't ask "do you want fries with that?" instead you ask "would you like to make that a value meal?" Much classier. More recently though, I have been moved to working McCafe. They trained me as quickly as possible in the other areas so I could go straight into working the Maccas coffee shop. I call that favor, and I do enjoy the work. I have always enjoyed working in the coffee business. The smell of coffee is comforting to me, and the taste of coffee is even that much better. I just love coffee! Coffee here is slightly different than back home though. People order long blacks instead of americanos or a latte but where are all the sweet flavorings?

I will sign off on this post with sharing a highlight moment from my first few weeks at work. Something that will make you all so jealous. Yes, I had the honor of being selected as the choice person to clean up the vomit in the McDonald's play area. It was a hot humid sticky day, the other person who initially was elected to go clean it up said she couldn't find it...wellll I do NOT think she looked very hard. I climbed up the first tubular shaped jungle gym piece (which really are only meant for little itty bitty children) to find something unpleasant and had I assume only become much more unpleasant as it had been sitting out there in the heat of the day for about 3 hours before I was asked to clean it. Disgusting! It was everything I could do to help from puking myself. I have never been one to eat fast food, but if there was anything that could really absolutely secure that I would never eat McDonald's food, that was it.

Until Next Time...

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I had to do that once, although it hadn't been sitting for 3 hours. But yay for jobs and the money that it brings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. That is super gross.
    2. Just found your blog - yay!
    3. Love to hear of the Lord's provision!
    4. Continue on, can't wait to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for smell & taste of coffee.
    Boo for 3-hours-in-the-hot-hot-sun-extra-cooked vomit.

    But loving hearing from you!!!

    ReplyDelete